Grade Level: 8th – 12th grades
Ages: 13 & up
Classes Meet: Thursdays
Semester 1: Thursday, September 9th – December 1st, 2022
Semester 2: Thursday, January 9th – March 30th, 2023.
(December 8th and April 6th will be make-up days if needed.)
Times: 11: 00 – 11:55 am
Instructor: Olivia Augenstein
Instructor Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Tuition / Fees: $300.00 tuition ($150.00 per semester). An enrollment fee of $50 is due within 2 weeks of registration for the first semester and another $50 deposit will be due for the second semester by 11/7/22. Both will come off of your tuition for each semester. The enrollment fees are non-refundable and will hold your place in the class.
This class will be an in-depth study of living things and their interaction in our physical world. This class follows the textbook Exploring Creation with Biology, 2nd Edition, by Wile and Durnell (Apologia). It will cover everything from the nature of life, cells, genetics, microorganisms, ecology and the animal kingdom.
Where: Epiphany Lutheran Church, 6606 Maplecrest Road, Fort Wayne
Required Text: Exploring Creation with Biology, 2nd Edition, Wile and Durnell (Apologia)
Time Requirements: We will cover a minimum of 1 chapter per week. There is weekly homework, readings and vocab. There are unit tests.
- The students are not required to take notes from the lecture. I expect the students to participate in the lecture. I can send out the power points from each lecture to whomever wants them.
Grades: Class- based on homework, vocab & tests
Lab- based on lab sheets, group participation , quizzes & tests
- I give 2 separate grades, 1 for class, 1 for lab, Class= 1 credit /semester, Lab= .5 credit/semester
- I encourage each student to outline the chapters as they read.
Expectations: Students will complete readings and work before class. Students will study the vocabulary and ask questions when needed . If a class is missed, it is the student’s responsibility to complete the reading and homework, including labs. There will be no make up labs. If a student misses a lab, they will make up the points by writing a one page paper over the topic of that lab.
- Students will read the chapters before coming to lecture. The question and vocab will be 1 week after the correlating lecture. This is so students have time to ask questions. If an assignment is not turned in within 2 weeks of due date, the student will receive a zero.
- Students will behave and treat each other with respect. If a student has to be reprimanded, I will call the parents. If it continues without resolution, the students will be asked to leave the class permanently without a refund. (I have never had this be an issue).
- Cancellations: NHC follows FWC for weather. Always use your best judgement. Safety is the highest priority. Sickness: I will be half dead before I cancel, but again use best judgement. We don’t want to infect others. I do ask that you let me know by email or text if a student will be absent so I don’t worry.
- If a student has special needs, please contact the teacher directly to discuss.